WATERCOLOR ART CAMP
in-studio art camp for kids 8-14 years old
San Francisco: July 5-8, 2022 (4 days)
1603 Irving Street, San Francisco CA 94122 map
Changes due COVID-19:
- Sitting in the studio is rearranged to assure adequate distance between the students.
- Teachers and kids are required to wear face covering.
- Studio is cleaned throughout regularly, with daily disinfection of active use areas (tables, door knobs, sinks, etc) and shared art materials (if possible). Some art materials are provided for individual use (pencil/eraser/clip boards).
- Air purifier with filters is used in the studio during the camp.
- No students with cold-like symptoms are allowed to participate. Please stay home if feeling sick.
- Students will not be allowed to go out of the studio to buy lunch. Please bring snack and lunch with you.
- Parents drop off and pick up students outside of the studio.
This camp covers everything you need to know about watercolor to use it fluently in your projects: how to mix colors, use washes, work from light to dark, use reserve and additives, and even such advanced technique as watercolor underpainting. You will learn the science behind the watercolor fluorescent colors, learn how to lead your work, what to do to prevent and fix watercolor accidents. We will try our hands in both Classical European and Eastern watercolor styles. By the end of the camp students will paint a portrait a landscape, a portrait of a pet, a small still life, a watercolor landscape, plenty of small studies, and a final project of a choice.
9:00am-12:00pm. Flat washes. Basic watercolor techniques and common mistakes. Painting a simple landscape a-la-Voloshin.
12:30pm-3:30pm. Chinese brush paitnting. Mastering brushwork. Painting a blossom tree, koi fish, and a dragon.
9:00am-12:00pm. Combination of wet-on-wet and wet-on-dry techniques. Painting a flower or a bird.
12:30pm-3:30pm. Mastering Wet-on-Wet watercolor. Painting a furry animal (cat, dog, etc).
9:00am-12:00pm. Classical watercolor with underpainting. Strating a small realistic still life (trompe-l'oeil).
12:30pm-3:30pm. Finishing a trompe-l'oeil.
Day 4 Final project of a choice. Watercolor and mixed media.
We are not offering refunds for new purchases. However, full credit towards future bookings or transfer to another camp/class will be offered for any cancellations made up to 24 hrs before the camp or class start.
If camp or class is cancelled due to gathering restrictions or shelter in place order placed by state or county authorities, similar online camp/class will be held instead. Students can cancel their registration if online learning does not work for them, with the full credit towards future in person camp/class.