Birthday Painting Parties
$350 for 10 kids,
each additional kid $25
High-quality art materials, basic plates & utensils are included. Cake and decorations are on you.
They are curious and self-confident, open to new ideas, and certain about what they like. They are what many adult artists dream to be.
We find it very important for young artists to know that Fine Art is not about just following step-by-step instructions. We teach them to create something brand new, using the endless resource of their imagination. All they need is encouragement and advice, which we are always happy to provide.
Each lesson covers an important art concept, needed for fluent representational drawing and painting. It is combined with a short intro to a cultural phenomenon: a style, and epoch, or a single artist. Students get to create their original artworks from scratch within the guidelines of the topic. Each topic can be adjusted to a variety of skill levels.
We start a lesson with a short lecture and demonstration (live in studios, pre-recorded for online lessons). Teachers provide advice, help, correct the digital image of a student's work, explain what works in particular cases and what does not, and why.
This class is ongoing, students can join anytime. Important concepts like drawing humans and animals, nature, and architecture are repeated every 1-2 months, each time associated with a new topic and art material. Topic rotation is 2-3 years. Art materials we master: acrylics, watercolor, pastels, pencil, markers, clay.
* Your child is ready for an in-person instructional class when:
1) feels comfortable when she's left in a new place with a new person, without a parent;
2) is ready to follow teacher's directions;
3) while drawing at home, draws recognizable figures and objects (not abstract shapes), and colors within the outlines.
Sample instructional video:
Week of September 4-10, 2023
Chinese vases. Understanding symmetry, designing a unique vase. Paper, pencil, markers.
Week of September 11-17, 2023
Painting Koi Fish. Basic watercolor technique. Sketch paper, brushes.
Week of September 18-24, 2023
Sculpting a Chinese Dragon. Clay.
Week of September 25 - October 1, 2023
Animals of Korean Folktales. Intro to animal anatomy.
Week of October 2 - 8, 2023
Odissi dancer. Understanding human proportions). Pastels.
Week of October 9 - 15, 2023
Indian shadow puppets. Ramayana. Intro to human movements.
Week of October 16 - 22, 2023
Sculpting a lucky cat. Clay, paint.
Week of October 23 - 29, 2023
Day of the Dead/ Halloween poster. Construction paper, acrylic paint.
Week of October 30 - November 5, 2023
Japanese woodblock prints. Fall-inspired collage.
Medieval European Art:
Week of November 6 - 12, 2023
Medieval paintings of mom and baby (starting the project).
Week of November 13 - 19, 2023
Medieval paintings of mom and baby (finishing the project).
Week of November 20 - 26, 2023
Medieval comic art.
Week of November 27- December 3, 2023
Arab word art.
Week of December 4 - 10, 2023
Sculpting a Christmas ornament / Small Figurine.
Week of December 11 - 17, 2023
Painting a winter landscape (starting the project).
Week of December 18 - 24, 2023
Painting a winter landscape (finishing the project).
WINTER-SPRING 2024 SCHEDULE
Materials we provide for in-studio classes,
and recommend for the online lessons:
- set of acrylic paint (at least these colors - black, white. red. blue. yellow, green. brown, orange, purple). Recommended brand - Basics by Liquitex
- watercolor paint, preferably in dry pans form. Recommended brand - Artist’s Loft by Michaels
Set of soft pastels. Recommended brand - Artist’s Loft by Michaels
- regular HB pencil
- optional: set of graphite pencils of different softness (2H, H, B, 2B, 4B etc)
- colored pencils. Recommended brand - Prismacolor
- optional: markers. Recommended brand - Copics
- liners or sharpie pens.
- brushes - flat and round (pointy). Use separate brushes for acrylic and watercolor paint.
- wooden clay sculpting tools
- paper plates for mixing paint
- water bucket or cup
- glue stick
- painting boards or mixed media paper, 8’’x10'’ or bigger - good for acrylic paint, coloring pencils, markers and graphite pencils.
- canvases, 8’’x10’’ or bigger - for acrylic paint only
- watercolor paper, 8’’x10’’ or bigger - for watercolor paint
- sketchbook or loose sketch paper (printing paper is ok) - any size
- construction paper (multiple colors), 11’’x14’’ or bigger
We have recently had a teen birthday party for our daughter at the Art School of the Bay, and were very pleased with it. We worked with teacher Maria to communicate regarding the event organization. Maria was very kind to accommodate our needs of party of 10.
We chose a Studio Ghibli/Miayazaki animation theme for the party, and kids sketched and drew under Maria's attentive and gentle guidance.
We also used the studio's backyard where we arranged snacks, refreshments and a birthday cake. The studio has a small kitchen and a fridge. Maria also kindly provided folding tables and chairs, which was very convenient.
Mountain View, CA