CHARACTER DESIGN/CONCEPT ART/
COMIC & DIGITAL ILLUSTRATION COMBO
in-studio art camp for kids 10-16 years old
San Jose dates: in-studio
Week 1: Character Design June 7-11, 2021
Week 2: Concept Art June 14-18, 2021
Week 3: Comic & Illustration June 21-25, 2021
Changes due COVID-19:
This San Jose in-studio camp has been changed in compliance with the latest Health Order of the Santa Clara County.
- The camp will be limited to 6 students at a time, in a stable group setting with no mixing between the groups.
- Sitting in the studio is rearrange to assure adequate distance between the students.
- Studio is cleaned throughout regularly, with daily disinfection of active use areas (tables, door knobs, sinks, etc) and shared art materials (if possible). Some art materials are provided for individual use (pencil/eraser/clip boards).
- Air purifier with filters is used in the studio during the camp.
- No students with cold-like symptoms are allowed to participate. Please stay home if feeling sick.
- Students will not be allowed to go out of the studio to buy lunch. Please bring snack and lunch with you.
- Parents drop off and pick up students outside of the studio.
Week 1: Character Design
This camp teaches character design from the ground up: starting with fundamentals like anatomy, gesture, and shape design. Students will learn to create original characters from scratch. Bring your sketchbooks or drawing tablets, instruction will be provided for both digital and traditional media!
Week 2: Concept Art
Learn to invent and draw various objects that help and support your characters in the imaginary universe: cars, planes, space ships,
create scenery, control the mood of the scene using color palettes and composition.
Week 3: Comic & Illustration
Now when your characters and world around them are ready, let's tell their story! This camp covers various styles of illustration, comic panelling and storyboards. Students will make a ready comic or a small storyboard with the unique characters they created earlier.
Bring your own lunch and snacks.
High-quality art materials provided.
Day 1: Realistic Head Drawing
Day 2: Stylized Head Drawing
Day 3: Realistic Human Anatomy
Day 4: Stylized Human Anatomy
Day 5: Creating unique character (final project)
Day 1: Perspective and Backgrounds
Day 2: Vehicles and moving objects
Day 3: Weapons and Tools
Day 4: Animals and Creatures
Day 5: Creating character’s companion and surroundings.
Comic and Illustration
Day 1: Storytelling and Character’s journey
Day 2: Intro to panels and layouts
Day 3: Comic elements - lettering, screen tones etc
Day 4: Working on final project - Full color illustration (character in the environment) or Book Cover art
Day 5: Working on final project - Comic page(s)
San Jose studio:
700 S Winchester Blvd #15, San Jose, CA 95128
We are not offering refunds for new purchases. However, full credit towards future bookings or transfer to another camp/class will be offered for any cancellations made up to 24 hrs before the camp or class start.
If camp or class is cancelled due to gathering restrictions or shelter in place order placed by state or county authorities, similar online camp/class will be held instead. Students can cancel their registration if online learning does not work for them, with the full credit towards future in person camp/class.