ADVANCED MANGA / COMIC
online art camp for kids 10-16 years old
The in-studio camps have been changed in compliance with the latest Health Orders of the City of San Francisco and Santa Clara County.
- Sitting in the studio is rearranged to assure 3 feet distance between the students.
- Studio is cleaned throughout regularly, with daily disinfection of active use areas (tables, doorknobs, sinks, etc) and shared art materials (if possible). Some art materials are provided for individual use (pencil/eraser/clipboards).
- Air purifier with filters is used in the studio during the camp.
- No students with cold-like symptoms are allowed to participate. Please stay home if feeling sick.
- Students will not be allowed to go out of the studio to buy lunch. Please bring a snack and lunch with you.
- Parents drop off and pick up students outside of the studio.
The online version of this camp will be held ONLINE via ZOOM video conference. Students will need access to a computer / tablet / phone with internet connection and zoom.us.
Do you often find yourself doodling characters in different positions, but always alone on a page, willing to move further? Are you a fan or comic art and animation, and would like to try your hand on it? Or, maybe, you draw comic books, and would like professional advice? We have a camp for you! It's dedicated to visual storytelling. To join it, you need to be able to draw your characters in various poses, while keeping them recognizable.
For details, please see the camp schedule.
Artworks can be made using both digital and traditional media.
Advanced anatomy overview. Lecture on the fluidity of character movement. Sketching character gestures, different character angles. Study of the main character of your future book.
1-, 2-, 3-Point Perspective. Shortcuts pros use when doing backgrounds. Lecture on cool background effects, and how the atmosphere changes due to these effects. Assignment of drawing a background using one of the perspective points (can add characters or ink).
Days 3 and 4:
Drafting the story. Working on the thumbnails of the story pages. Sketching out, refining, word balloon placing. Lecture on most common types of composition.
Inking/ painting pages. Final touches. Lecture on color pallets.
We are not offering refunds for new purchases. However, full credit towards future bookings or transfer to another camp/class will be offered for any cancellations made up to 24 hrs before the camp or class start.
If camp or class is cancelled due to gathering restrictions or shelter in place order placed by state or county authorities, similar online camp/class will be held instead. Students can cancel their registration if online learning does not work for them, with the full credit towards future in person camp/class.